Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Reaquainted

4.3.08
You’ve seen me around here before, haven’t you? Don’t I look familiar to you at all? Your face searches and scours. Maybe you’ve seen glimpses of me. Fleeting moments of recognition.

So tell me then, who are you?

I know. But do you? Underneath that mane of fiery curls and behind those emerald eyes. Who resides under that peachy skin and bright smile? Do you even know who you truly are?

Don’t shake your head. You do. Yes, yes. You do. You know much more than you think. I’ve watched you deny that well of knowing like so many other parts of yourself. Aspects fragmented by disillusionment of their separateness. When given permission, they blend into one masterfully orchestrated symphony. But at times like this all you hear is the clambering and squawking of the individual tones. The deep, dark droning of the bass’s loathing. The happy-yet-conditional chirps of the flute’s love. The strumming, melancholy undertones of the cello’s gratitude.

But come with me, now. Take a deep breath. Sink into the stillness.

Can you hear it now? The marriage of the instruments into one stream. The more you listen and trust, the more you will truly hear. Just as that unified crescendo marches toward fullness, you too are on your way. Swells and syncopations. Melodies and harmonies. Sharps and flats. Allegro and dolente.

But like any good score, it must unfold one movement at a time. Even through the key changes and periods of rest, you must trust that the cadence steadily moves forward. As you are learning, dearest one, it all adds to the fullness, the excitement. It’s your choice. Hear only the dissonance of solo instruments, or let the ensemble swallow you up and carry you.

Do you recognize me now? Do you sense me moving through the rhythm with you? For I am always here. I was the one witnessing the deliciously sweet sounds of your spirit before I ever saw the glow of your round face. And that is where you can find me now. So, take another look and tell me what you see. Under the beauty of your physicality. Look deeper.

Do you see me?

I am here. I am here in the music of you. Won’t you dance with me?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So I thought that said 'slink into the stillness' and that one little extra letter changes the whole thing.